Tuesday, August 29, 2006

More "German" and "French"

Trent Hergenrader writes, in part:
This is almost on-topic, but German Chocolate Cake gets its name from the type of chocolate (German's Sweet Chocolate) used ...
I did not know that. The story is told here at the invaluable Snopes.com.

During the First World War, I wonder, was it renamed "liberty chocolate cake"?

Trent also alerts us to the obscure word "cataglottism," meaning French kissing. He adds:
Had I only known this in high school, so much would be so different today...
My knowing that word in high school would have helped me not at all. I knew many terms for acts I was at no risk of actually enjoying. I would, however, have inserted the word into snarky remarks: "What's the matter? Cataglottism got your tongue?"

No comments: