Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Our latest snow


Sydney took this photo of our front yard this afternoon, from the warmth of the foyer. (That's not an orb, but the reflection of the flash on the glass door.) Mr. Bobby Drees, who came by to shovel our driveway and walk, told us that Frostburg got 11 inches total before the flakes stopped falling, and Mr. Drees ought to know.

Whenever it snows here -- and it snows here early and often, the first snowfall of the winter having been Oct. 24 -- I think of how I warned my hero and fellow Southerner Brett Cox, when he announced a move from L.A. (Lower Alabama) to Vermont, against the dangers of shoveling snow. "Shoveling snow killed Kornbluth," I told him. Sydney rightly points out that it's in no danger of killing me, as seldom as I pick up a shovel.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Andy & Sydney,

A lovely snow shot. But fuck that. I hate snow. I hate it so much I'm going to Fort Lauderdale next week.
Re: Shoveling. I share & sympathize with your firmly held philospohic which dictates: Never run when you can walk, never walk when you can stand, never stand when you can sit, and never sit when you can lie down.
Thus is culture preserved.

Best

Patrick O